Revisiting The Marketplace of the Future – Climate Week 2018
Climate Week NYC 2018 is typically a platform for CEOs, government officials, and investors from around the world to address issues that shape markets and create policies to make climate action a reality.
The foundation of Climate Week is to continue the conversation resulting from the Global Climate Action Summit that takes place earlier in September. Businesses, cities, and states come together over this period to step up climate leadership, to achieve the goals set at the Paris Agreement.
In this spirit, RXR Realty took a local perspective by hosting and sponsoring an event called The Marketplace of the Future that took place on Friday, September 28th at the Starrett-Lehigh Building.
The Starrett-Lehigh Building supports West Chelsea and broader local community by partnering with groups that share our passion and vision for the world around us. This was accomplished by producing a lively celebration of climate solutions framed as a glimpse into the future. Future Meets Present is a startup that visualizes a time in which all organizations will be working for the betterment of people and the planet – sustainable materials, zero-waste supply chains, and where give-back models, will be the norm.
A total of 35 sustainable companies came together to showcase their work addressing Climate Change. A few examples include:
• Food for All: An app to purchase excess food from local restaurants that would have otherwise gone to waste
• GrouphugTech: Decorative solar panel windows for your home
• Who Gives A Crap: A tree-less toilet paper company. 50% of profits go towards building toilets for those in need.
Nearly 1000 attendees from the climate change world including top-level CEOs, activists, artists, students, entrepreneurs, and others interested in sustainability, enjoyed an evening of camaraderie at the Starrett-Lehigh Building. Additionally, the event included:
• Beautiful city views
• Stargazing provided by the Amateur Astronomy Association
• Free beer and wine for all guests
• Free reusable Stojo cups for each guest to keep
• Live music by the Kennedy Administration
• Live artwork by Marthalicia
• A panel discussion lead by Future Meets Present founder Amer Jandali
• Bartenders and drinks by the House of Yes
The event was a registered Climate Week Affiliate event and was also sponsored in part by:
• Be Social Change
• In Good Company
• The Regeneration Magazine
• The Centre for Social Innovation
• The Starrett-Lehigh Building